Saving Energy At Home | We're Doing Our Share
by Danielle Carmine
There are 7 of us in the Carmine household which means we use a lot of energy. With 3 teenagers who are constantly "plugged-in", saving energy isn’t easy.
Unable to deal with the skyrocketing cost of energy and is inevitable environmental implications, we have instituted several simple changes around the house to save energy, lower our monthly bill, and more importantly reduce our environmental impact.
Here are some energy saving tips we have successfully used.
- We install energy-efficient and long lasting compact fluorescent lights all around the house. I was initially concerned about the mercury they contain, but I figure if when the time comes I dispose of them properly it will be alright.
- Use power strips to plug in all miscellaneous appliances (chargers, hair driers, etc.) and switch them off when my teenagers aren’t using them.
- Install Quiet Cool Whole House Fans to use in summer months. They work really well. We never use the AC now! I recommend everyone look into them.
- Replace the insulation in the attic and make sure windows are sealed properly, especially if you live in an old house like we do.
- Now I know this wont work in most households but we got rid of 2 of our 3 TV sets. I would have done this sooner if I knew that it would make my kids more attentive to reality. I recommend ever parent try this, at least with the TV set in their child’s room, even if saving energy isn’t the goal.
With these steps, my family has reduced our monthly electric bill by almost in half. To some it may not seem like a lot, but we are always looking for new approaches to saving energy!